Monday, July 2, 2007

9. Bookkeeping

There are several more topics to be discussed about Morphy's games played at the First American Chess Congress, but first a note on methodology. The CKR file contains "tags" for game sources. Tags are PGN conventions for describing header information about a game, i.e., site, date, players, round etc. The source tags in CKR are non-standard and thus ignored by PGN readers. Its is a convenient way of adding documentation without being conspicuous. I have not used the source tags in games posted on The Morphy File blog, preferring to add the "Game Sources" section to make a more readable presentation on a web page. In our related documents file, however, the game sources are added back in as tags. The source tags are different from CKR in that the first source is the earliest publication that I have found, while in CKR, Source1 is always Shibut, Source4 is always Sergeant etc. Besides game sources, a date source tag seems desirable and perhaps another tag as a reference to the Blog post where the game was discussed would be useful. Therefore, I have added the tags "DtSrc" and "TMF" to the file.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the [TMF] tag as my header of corrections baffles the mind, I could simply add the address. But I don't know when I can move all my date references to a [DtSrc] tag but I like the idea of stating [DateSource "Historical reference Lawson pg.58"] as well as the full tag name.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like the cronological order, but I use the constant 1,2,3 tags to know who does not have which games.

Rehab Guy said...

The Löwenthal (JL) book is now on Google books. It is, however, the rare New York edition with many fewer games so you can't say whether JL "has" a game or not based on it. Also, he does not number consecutively, so the reference is by page number. Obviously, the smaller edition will have different page numbers than the usual edition.

I am preparing the rest of the official games and found that JL includes two official Lichtenhein games as casual. Strange!